Saturday, October 16, 2010

Growing Pains

So it has been a quick minute since I have last posted, which can only mean that life has been pretty boring over here.. haha.. Mostly I have just been waiting for things to actually happen before I update (like our housing situation), but I figured I could update you about some of our other changes.. Like our growing puppies!!

Kacee and Dallas continue to make life very interesting for us. They have adapted really well to our home, and are pretty much done potty training, which means I can now start training them in other areas!! They love to go for runs in the race horse training fields (called The Gallops).. which is a good workout for both mommy and puppies!! Every time we go, they get compliments from every one we pass! They socialize really well with the other dogs, and don't even need to be on a lead because they follow me so well! Everyone is impressed with how well behaved they are and how beautiful they are. They are still sleeping quite a bit, but are getting more and more energy everyday!

What I am most surprised about is how quickly they grow!! When we got Kacee she weighed about 7 pounds... Three weeks later she is up to 15.5 pounds! Dallas is even worse.. He was about 9 pounds when we got him, and he is up to 20 pounds... He is a VERY solid dog!!

They went to their last vet appointment of the year yesterday, and I was told that I spoil my dogs a little too much... Especially my little girl.. Dallas is pretty independent.. definitely not a snuggler! He would rather be sleeping on the floor than on the couch (which is probably a good thing!).. Kacee on the other hand is an attention whore, for lack of a better term... She always has to be close to you.. Recently she started this thing where she literally hugs my leg with her front paws.. I asked the vet why she does this, and he said, "You know how toddlers hug their parent's leg when they want to be picked up... It's very much the same.." So basically  I don't have a puppy.. I have a toddler......... But it's hard for me not to pick them up.. I'm going to be sad when I won't be able to do that anymore!!

They attended their first slumber party on Thursday! My friend Margaret invited me and Nichole over for a girls night and since Everett was supposed to have a middle of the night flight I had to bring the puppies with me... Their crate is too big for the car, so they had to go without for the first time which really scared me because I didn't want them peeing or worse in Margaret's house! I did bring the child's gate with me and we locked them in the kitchen.. Not too surprisingly... They slept for the better part of the night since I took them to Everett's football game before, and they got to play with all the kids at the game (my favorite thing.. built in puppy sitters!!) I slept on the couch downstairs so I could be sure to take them out every few hours to ensure no accidents.. and they did great!! Not a single mistake inside!!

Besides going to the Gallops, they LOVE going to Everett's football games on base! It's a really great place to socialize them with kids, since there are so many! They have done AMAZING with the little kids.. they have been in contact with kids aged only a few months to about 10 years old.. They even did great when this insane little boy kept trying to pick them up by their hind legs, and when a toddler was pulling on their tails.. It always makes me a little nervous because if something were to happen it would be my fault, but the parents don't seem too bothered and some even want their kids around the dogs.. so that makes me feel a little better! They will definitely be kid ready when we have a few of our own!

Luckily they have not torn up our house yet... Kacee isn't really a chewer, but Dallas is..... He will stop when you tell him to, but if they don't have any of their own chew toys around.. they will get your shoes!! I have really been working on that, because there is nothing worse than a chewer... They understand which toys are theirs, but every once in a while they like to push my buttons...... One thing I find really funny that they like to chew are rocks... yeah... we have THOSE kids......

As most of you know, we will be moving soon due to the fact that our current home does not have a yard for the dogs... There are only two patches of grass on the property, and they are right by our front door... There are two things that I hate dogs doing, chewing and digging... unfortunately.. our dogs are showing signs of digging.... They dig the heck out of our two patches of no longer grass, but now dirt because of all their digging... I'm not really sure how to end this problem, so any help or advice you have I would appreciate to know before we do get a yard.. I don't want them to tear it up!!

Alright.. now that you feel like you know Kacee and Dallas, I guess I will end this! The next time I post will probably be when we find out about our housing!! OR when I get command sponsership.. which SHOULD be sometime next week!! OR when I find out if I get to come home in November or not!! Lots of possibilities!! Keep checking back for updates!!

1 comment:

  1. um, so i'm a moron, and i've been checking the blog every-so-often, but for some reason, my bookmark takes me to the cleaning and house fires entry every time, so i thought you hadn't made any new entries. just spent the last 45 minutes or so catching up on it all...fully informed now.

    ReplyDelete